Create an online store It is a very important moment in the life of an entrepreneur, considering that your product is good to put on sale and putting some money and time at risk for the business to work is always a moment of tension.
Hours and hours of work and maybe you can’t get the expected traffic and by not having those users entering your website, you do not get the estimated sales.
That is why it is important, not only to design a great website with a great design and great functionalities, it is also important to have a job of SEO and content marketing.
Things necessary to create a blog on Shopify
We remember that for create a blog on Shopify professional it is necessary that these three things:
- Create and publish exceptional content
- Be constant and punctual
- Promote it in the right media
Create a blog And updating it with regular posts does three things. First, it enables search engines like Google know that your site is active and up-to-date. Second, it gives you the opportunity to use that same content for your social networks. And thirdly, it gives you a way to stay in touch with your customers, knowing their tastes and interests.
Create a blog with Shopify: Step by step
For most ecommerce blogs, the features of Shopify will be more than enough to achieve what we need. Shopify covers blog basics like: insert images and videos, a nice visual editor, SEO assistant, ability to schedule future posts, comments, and tags. It is not as powerful as dedicated blogging systems such as WordPress, but in some cases it may not be necessary to complicate the work so much or use such complex functionalities.
Before you can publish anything you need to configure in Shopifiy how you want to make your blog. Start by going to “Admin> Online Store> Blog Entries“. This will take you directly to the blogging module where you can configure your options. Click on “Manage blogs”To create your first blog. In the future you can also create more blogs. Give your blog a name and then add it to your site’s navigation menu.
The style of your blog will depend on the design of your digital commerce but it can be modified with Liquid code.
How to manage comments on the Shopify blog
After this you will have to choose how to manage the comments that users can leave you, there are 3 default ways:
- Disable comments: This can make it more complicated for users to value your post, by not transmitting the confidence of being able to ask, or put your opinion, the good thing is that it will not make you invest time in the comments.
- Comments in moderation: You have complete control over the comments and what they say, but it can take a lot of time depending on the number of users on the web.
- Comments posted automatically: This is good when our user community is active and our posts generate interest or debate, but negative or inappropriate comments can put all the work done at risk. You need to check the comments daily to verify that they are correct
From here our recommendation at first would be the comments in moderation and check the comments once or twice a week, we will have them controlled and users can put their doubts in the post.
Technically with that we would already have our blog created but there is much more to do that we are going to explain to you why create a perfect Shopify blog.
Schedule content on the Shopify blog
With the blog on Shopify you can schedule content that you want to publish so that it can be uploaded on the day you want at the time that suits you best. It is not necessary to be with the computer at that time to have a new article on your blog.
Scheduling all the posts of the month can save you time and have a better organization knowing the content that will appear each day.
also can show an excerpt of the text in order to capture the attention of users who are on the web and thus read the post.
Can create labels To differentiate the different types of content that we publish and make it much easier for the user to search for topics relevant to them, it is also useful for us to carry a categorization of each publication and thus know what we are talking about.
We can incorporate our blogs social media buttons so that they can share our content or simply find us on another social network, in many of the Shopify themes they are included but if it were not, there is an easy solution.
If your Shopify does not have the function of social media buttons, in the application store you can everything you need, some are paid and others are free. I personally recommend using Social feed or Twitter Feed, are the most useful.
Invite customers to subscribe
Shopify itself creates an RSS feed when you publish a blog post so customers can to subscribe and receive an email when you post something new. The feed URL is the URL of the blog page with .atom at the end appended. An example would be:
Customers can also subscribe to the blog with other applications.
Increase the reach of your SEO
We need the engines of search like google find us easily and that our topics are interesting to attract more traffic to our website. Shopify gives us a SEO management of our blog in a very simple way to be able to control the necessary parameters to improve web positioning, in addition to having a very interesting SEO assistant similar to the famous Yoast in WordPress.
With this you would already have everything available from Shopify but you have already created a blog with another CMS and you prefer to integrate it into your online store. It is another quite interesting possibility, but there are a couple of important things to keep in mind.
- The impact on the SEO of your website: By putting the blog from another platform, a subdomain within Shopify and not as a subdirectory, something that does not work well for SEO positioning, that is, the work we do to position the blog will not generate a good positioning on the web. Obviously users can go from the blog to the web and transform purchases, but we would have to work a double SEO.
- Double effort: When working with an external manager, the themes of the blog and the web can be different creating confusion among clients, since they are not normally available on both sites we will have to have a custom theme and use programming so that both design and blog usability and web are as similar as possible.
- Possible usability issues: Maybe when you browse Shopify and you already have a couple of products in the cart, you decide to go to the blog and read something about the product or any information that is interesting to you, because in that process you can lose the cart, so we lose a client more than potential, this has a solution but it is quite complex and advanced programming.
If you already have a blog on another platform, there is no problem, you can migrate your entire blog from one website to another, and thus enhance the SEO of your e-commerce when creating a blog in Shopify, there are different applications to do this, but I personally recommend BlogFeeder to perform the migration.
Perhaps Shopify in some cases is not the most powerful option to create and maintain a blog, but if you already have an online store with this incredible tool, you will only get advantages from implementing your blog with it.
Now that you have a fleeting introduction of how to create a blog with Shopify, you can create your blog yourself, for any questions you can write a comment or send an email and we will be happy to answer you. Tell us your idea to create an ecommerce and we will help you in a personalized way.