Mexico DF In order to understand the trends in Internet use habits among Mexicans, as well as their interaction with brands and the media through digital platforms, IAB México and Millward Brown presented the fifth edition of the Study of Media Consumption among Mexican Internet Users: “Mexicans now have more devices to connect to the Internet for longer and to do more things, their relationship with this medium is increasingly intense. This means that the medium must be seen as an integral part of the communication and advertising strategies of brands, therefore, if they want to be successful in their markets, they cannot stay off the Internet, nor invest marginally”, Commented Gabriel Richaud, CEO of IAB Mexico. In this sense, several important data stand out in the study, and which are fundamental in the daily work of web designers, creatives and marketers.
Study of Media Consumption among Mexican Internet Users in 2012
1. There are 46 million 600 thousand Internet users in Mexico. Currently in the country the population is 112 million 336 thousand 538 inhabitants.
Sources: Emarketer / INEGI 2010
2. The gender of Internet users in Mexico is balanced between men and women. 25% of Internet users are in the range of 13 to 18 years, 21% in that of 19 to 25 years, and from 26 to 32 15%. The 52% socioeconomic level is ABC +.
3. The main interest groups in Mexico are the following among Internet users in Mexico are:
Executives: Non-managerial employees and media managers
Teens: People between 13 and 18 years old.
Silver Surfers: People aged 50 and over.
Digital moms: Women with children between 9 and 12 years old.
Heavy users: They love the Internet, it is indispensable in their life and they spend more than 5 hours connected.
People with socioeconomic level C-, D + and DE.
Four. Internet users in Mexico increasingly have more articles to access the web. The average number of devices in 2012 with which they entered the Internet in 2012 was 4.04, while in 2011 it was 3.36.
5. Mobile devices are increasingly important for the interaction between the Internet and its users. The percentage of Internet users with mobile devices in Mexico went from 56% in 2011 to 70% in 2012.
6. Important habits of Internet users in Mexico:
–50% of teens who play they do it every day.
–3 out of 10 for moms Those who shop online usually do it 1 or 2 times a week.
–1 in 2 executives watch TV online and play games every day.
–Most executives and silver surfers who read the news do it daily.
7. An Internet user in Mexico does not navigate to perform a single activity. The average of simultaneous online activities is 3.23.
8. Among the main activities on-line that Internet users do in Mexico while on the Internet are: watch TV (50%), listen to music (49%), study / do homework (47%), send messages by cell phone (41%), among others.
9. 93% of users watch videos over the Internet.
10. The average time of active Internet connection in 2012 was 4 hours 13 minutes (2 minutes more than in 2011).
eleven. An average Internet user visits 8 types of sites Web in a week. This goes up to 10, considering the different interest groups. 84% of Internet users download applications, software, programs or games.
12. The main sources of information on topics of interest are search engines and social networks.
13. 9 out of 10 Mexican Internet users are on social networks and 7 out of 10 use it as the second means to obtain information on their topics of interest.
14. Although the relationship between social network users with advertising is characterized by being passive, there are more and more Internet users who write about brands or belong to a fan page.
fifteen. 77% of Internet users in Mexico stop to see advertising via the Internet. 77% of these do so because they find the advertising attractive, 47% because they feel that they are given credible information, while 46% say they do it to find out about promotions and discounts.
16. Among the elements that influence Internet users to see advertising on the Internet are interactive graphics, the use of videos and having music. Factors that become key for designers Web.
Source: Millward Brown Mexico
Methodology: 1,156 interviews were conducted during October and November 2012 through a panel of Internet users.