Have you also dreamed of working from home, enjoying flexible hours and much more free time for personal and professional development? Well then, it may be that Freelance web developer is your ideal career.
It sounds tempting, but it is probably very difficult to start working as a freelancer, right? Shouldn’t you spend a fortune buying expensive professional programs?
The answer is no, definitely not. With just a computer and an Internet connection, you have access to more free or inexpensive resources than you can imagine.
To demonstrate this, we have prepared a selection of 10 resources for web developers that will help you learn, create and be much more productive. Enjoy!
- Ready-made ready-to-use materials
- Work planning and time control
- Content creation from scratch
- Application and software development
Ready-made ready-to-use materials
1. Membership ONE
Whether you are a graphic designer, web developer, marketer, SEM specialist or any other independent professional, the ONE membership deserves your attention.
In two words, ONE is a huge collection of more than 16,000 products (website templates, CMS templates, templates for online stores, plugins and extensions, icons, graphics, presentation templates, fonts and much more) that you can access and that you can download without any limit not at all € 156 / year (variable price).
Why have we included ONE in this list of web developer resources?
- A great Variety of products: From templates for web pages (HTML templates, WordPress themes, Joomla templates, PrestaShop themes, Magento themes, Shopify themes, etc.) to more than a million stock photos, thousands of illustrations, icons, fonts and other graphics.
- Regular updates. The 16,000th number is not final, as ONE’s product collection continues to grow.
- Unlimited downloads. That is, you can download as many products as you want and as many times as necessary.
- 24/5 support. This also matters, as it is always good to have someone who can help you in case you have any problem with the product you downloaded.
If it seems a bit expensive, we offer you exclusively to the readers of this blog the following promotional code to obtain a 5% additional discount in the purchase of any subscription plan to ONE (you can apply it even to the promotional price that is already reduced!). Don’t hesitate to use it.
two. Freepik, one of the most popular resources for web developers
Is there a freelancer who has never heard of Freepik? It seems unlikely, unless you live on some other planet.
Freepik is one of the most popular sources for Free Vectors, PSD, Icons and Photos. Many professionals include it on their web developer resource lists.
Why have we included Freepik in this list?
- A wide choice of products. Are added over 80,000 free items new each month (created by both Freepik team members and platform designer-collaborators).
- A easy to use search. All the materials are divided into 3 main categories: vectors, PSD files and photos. Each category is made up of subcategories that allow you to narrow your search. All items are also provided with relevant tags that they let you perform even more specific searches.
- You can use all the resources to create personal and commercial projects. However, on one condition: Freepik forces you to mention the author’s name or add a “Design by Freepik” note every time you use a free item from their collection. On the other hand, subscribers to the Freepik premium plan should not.
Work planning and time control
3. Toggl, the tool to manage your time
This cloud-based application is one of the easiest to use on the modern market. You can download it at three versions: for desktop, for iOS and for Android. The best thing is that the versions are synchronized in real time.
Toggl makes time management so easy that all you have to do is click on the “start” button before starting work on a project, and press the “stop” button when you have finished. Yes, it really is that simple.
The only downside to Toggl is that it’s not free.
Why have we included Toggl in this list?
- It doesn’t matter which version of the app you decide to use, all data will be stored in your Toggl account so you can access them even if you change applications.
- Toggl allows you add time records manually. This option would be a great help in case you have to complete tasks “outside the computer”.
- Another interesting option is the registration of each program and website in which you have stayed for more than 10 seconds. In this way, you will be able to detect the websites that “eat” all your time.
- Toggl also has a choice of automatic start of tracking of the time that is activated when a certain program is opened or a certain action is performed.
- The last Toggl feature we would like to highlight is the timer that sends you reminders so that don’t forget to take breaks.
As you can see, Toggl has many useful functions to control time and improve productivity.
4. The leadership of Trello
You have to be aware of the time you have and plan accordingly, otherwise you will end up wasting it and, as a result, you will not finish your work within the corresponding period. The market for tools to manage and plan tasks is highly competitive, but Trello maintains leadership for many years.
All those obsessed with time and task management prefer it, and not without reason. It is not only cheapbut also extremely Easy to use.
Why have we included Trello in this list of web developer resources?
- You can download it free (The free version is somewhat limited, but the options it offers would be more than enough for personal use).
- Is an application flexible and easy to customize and adjust to your needs.
- Facilitates teamwork in different projects, allowing you to share tables, comments, notes and documents.
- Synchronize automatically all data on all your devices.
- You can extend its functionality even more, integrating different services to your liking (for example, Dropbox, Google Drive, Jira, etc.).
- It allows you automate certain processes with the help of the Butler robot.
Content creation from scratch
5. Canva and its intuitive use for creating designs
Canva is a tool with easy features and functionality enough to use so that anyone can create engaging content to share.
Canva allows you to create all kinds of content: from images optimized for social networks and cover templates for Facebook to marketing materials, documents, presentations, invitations and announcements, almost everything you may need.
Why have we included Canva in this list?
- This application is free, you will only have to pay in case you want to use one of the premium images. Don’t want to pay No problem! Choose from thousands of free images.
- Drag and drop editor. In combination with integrated search, this editor helps you quickly find suitable image elements and combine them as you like.
- Thousands of images and fonts to use. Whether you use a free or paid photo, or even upload your own, you can edit it with Canva’s easy-to-use photo editor: change the look of your image, using filters, applying brightness adjustments, and so on. As for the sources, Canva offers you hundreds to choose from.
- Canva facilitates collaboration in two ways: it allows you to request comments and give editing permission.
6. The professional graphic vector editor Inkscape
Inkscape is a powerful open source desktop application to create scalable vector graphics in two dimensions. Although this is primarily a tool for creating artwork, the variety of what can be done with Inkscape is huge and sometimes surprising. It is used to make diagrams, logos, marketing materials, web graphics and much more.
Why have we included Inkscape in this list?
- By default, Inkscape uses the format SVG (Scalable vector graphics), although it also allows you to import or export files in other formats, such as AI, EPS, PDF, PS and PNG.
- SVG files can be opened with almost any other vector graphics editing tool and they are displayed without errors in all modern web browsers.
- You can download Inkscape under the GNU General Public License.
- It’s compatible with Windows, Mac OS X Y Linux.
- To master Inkscape, no previous experience in graphic design is required, as Inkscape is very Easy to use.
7. Gimp, digital image editing
Gimp is an image editing application free Y open source. Whether you are a graphic designer, photographer, illustrator, or scientist, GIMP provides you with a complete set of advanced tools to do your work more efficiently.
Why have we included Gimp in this list?
- Advanced tools for edit photos: From image retouching to restoration, the only limit is your imagination.
- Tools for create illustrations originals. GIMP gives artists the power and flexibility to transform images into truly unique works of art.
- GIMP also allows to create icons, graphic design elements, ui elements Y models.
8. The web page builder NoviBuilder
Novi Builder is an HTML web page builder. This is an advanced editing tool that is equipped with a rich selection of easy-to-use customization options for both experienced and novice webmasters.
Why have we included Novi Builder in this list of web developer resources?
- A drag and drop interface Ensure a seamless page editing experience while working in intuitive visual mode and viewing the results of design modification in real time. With Novi, you will be able to create unique and functional layouts, even if you have little or no coding experience.
- Novi developers regularly improve, adding interesting new features.
- When necessary, Novi also allows you modify the source code of your designs.
- Novi Builder has a gallery of more than 40 free templates and ready to use.
- In case you want to embed additional functionality in your web page, you will not have to look for any third extension, as Novi is already provided with a package of free plugins (MailChimp, Google Maps, social media buttons, timers, etc.).
- With so many step-by-step guides and video tutorials it would be impossible to get confused when using Novi.
Application and software development
9. Github manage your code
In layman’s terms, GitHub is a cloud-based website and service that helps developers store and manage their code, as well as track and control changes to their code. It is widely used by developers around the world.
Why have we included GitHub in this list?
- GitHub interface is enough Easy to use even for newbies. GitHub is so easy to use that some people even use it to do things a long way from web development, such as writing books.
- Anyone can register and use a public code repository for free, which makes GitHub especially popular with developers of open source projects.
- GitHub also provides private pay repositories, as well as other plans oriented to companies that facilitate the management of team members and security control.
10. Soundcloud, the importance of music
Music inspires us, relaxes us and encourages us. So, we’ve decided to have a little fun filling up our list of web developer resources with a solution that you’re unlikely to expect to see.
SoundCloud is a social network that is mainly used to distribute audio tracks. Just like Pinterest or Instagram is used to share images and / or videos, SoundCloud is used to share music.
There really are two types of SoundCloud users: those who want to promote their music, and others who want to listen to it.
Why have we included Soundcloud in this list?
- Whatever your musical preferences, among the tracks on Soundcloud, you will undoubtedly find something to your liking.
- On the Soundcloud site, you can do everything you are used to doing on social media: comment, bookmark and share.
- Also, you can create and manage custom playlists, take advantage of the search to find a particular track and join groups of fans of a particular artist or musical genre.
Will we surprise you if we tell you that on the Internet there are many more applications, programs and web developer resources to make life easier for them? It seems not. So, in case you haven’t found anything to your liking in this list, no problem! Remember that whoever seeks finds.
And in the end, we would like to give you one more tip: do not settle for little. If any tool you are used to can no longer satisfy all your needs, it may be time to leave it behind and look for something more functional and advanced. May the tools never limit your creativity!