Either as an advertising element or as a tool to get it to perform an action, it usually consists of a clickable image that links to a content or promotion.
They are usually considered invasive or annoying elements. And, for this reason, its use has often been discouraged on websites and other platforms. However, the reality is that, to this day, they still provide beneficial results.
Therefore, they are resources to consider in any marketing or advertising strategy. So let’s take a look at the types of digital and printed banners out there, and which ones might be the most appropriate for your brand or business.
Types of digital banners
This category includes the types of banners for web pages and the types of advertising banners on the Internet. The first are those that you find while browsing a website, which can be internal or external. Namely:
We can talk about our own digital banners that are used to derive traffic to a page of interest, or third parties and for which the site charges a commission based on the traffic it sends to the linked page.
- In the first case, imagine that you are a brand that sells training and you have a temporary promotion with some objectives to achieve. If you make use of the different types of web banners, you will be able to give visibility to the offer and derive traffic to it.
- In the second case, imagine that you have a blog about sports shoes. And, in addition, you enjoy a good online reputation and receive thousands of visits per month. Some brand in the sector might be interested in placing banners on your website to enhance their visibility. Which is a business opportunity.
Regarding the types of advertising banners on the Internet, the objective is similar to the previous one, but with the difference that they are framed in active advertising campaigns.
Surely you have ever browsed a digital newspaper and seen one of them. They are banners that are placed in digital advertising locations to give visibility to a certain offer.
➽ Types of banners for web pages
All types of banners on the Internet, whatever their purpose, are made up of a striking image, a short text and a link. To be effective, all of this must be coordinated and under the umbrella of a defined strategy.
A good way to check the effectiveness of this resource is through heat map tools. This will tell us if visitors stop at the banner, or on the contrary, it goes unnoticed.
It also informs us of the image-text combination that most impacts the user and the most useful place to place it. That said, there are different types of web banners. Here you have the list of the most popular ones.
- Header for background. These go at the top of the page. This position makes them the ones that derive the most traffic to the page they link to. They are the most visible and effective.
- Sidebars format. In this case, we are talking about banners that are placed on the right margin of a website. That is, in the sidebar. They coexist with widgets of different types. And they stand out for their naturalness and great ability to integrate with the content.
- Rectangular footer banner. These appear in the so-called footer of the web. It is normal that we find them on all the pages of the site, the most common being those that invite you to subscribe to the newsletter or download a free resource.
- Banner in content. Another of the most frequent types of digital banners on web pages are those that are inserted in the middle of a content. That is, in a blog article, for example. They are seen by all those who read the post.
- Pop-up. Among the different types of web banners, we find the pop up ones. They are small pop-up windows that appear when the user has been browsing the page for a certain time, or when they are about to leave it.
➽ Other types of banners on the Internet
The above are not the only types of digital banners that exist on the Internet. Others that should be noted for their effectiveness are the following:
- Banners for ads. All those that are used in display advertising are included here. They are also banners with image and text that are included in advertising placements and link to the landing page that you want to promote.
- Floating banners. Have you ever come across a banner that scrolls as you scroll down a page? It is a floating banner. It has no fixed position within the web and it moves with you until you close it.
- Expandable banners. In this case we are talking about types of digital banners that expand when you place the mouse cursor over them. When that happens, they take up practically the entire screen. However, they can be easily minimized or closed.
- Banners for social networks. And finally, in social networks there are different types of banners. For example, that of the cover of a company page, or that of a profile.
By the way, thanks to the banner making programs, it is possible to create both these and the previous ones in a simple way and without being experts in graphic design. Although, yes, they will always be better if we go to a professional.
Types of printed advertising banners
Print advertising, despite being older than digital, is a fairly recurring option for brands; in other words, it is a type of advertising that uses physical media to display its ads.
However, when it comes to measuring results, it is perhaps somewhat more complicated. There are no tools to track its effectiveness. Still, they are a very powerful source of visibility for companies. Some of the types of printed advertising banners are in the form of:
- Advertising brochure. There are different sizes, there are even foldable or non-foldable. They are usually advertising material that is distributed in mailboxes. As before, they exist tools to make a creative brochure that you can use.
- Flyer. These are distributed more at street level or in similar events and activities. They show in a summarized way the information about a certain offer.
- Cards Have you ever been given a professional card? It only includes the name and contact details, but it is considered a very effective advertising format.
- Journals. All magazines reserve certain pages to place brand advertising. These ads can be full page, half page or quarter page.
- Newspapers This case is similar to the previous one, but in newspapers or daily press. Certain pages are also reserved for those who want to advertise to their readers.
The advantage of these types of printed advertising banners is that they allow you to add more text. And, therefore, more information to generate interest in users.
We have shared tools to create them yourself, but another option is to hire the services of print advertising from a specialized company.
Be that as it may, banners are a very effective tool. Far from what can be said, they promote visibility and boost results, providing a positive ROI!