Video has also become an attractive format when it comes to making a resume and differentiating yourself from the rest of the people you compete with for a job. In fact, the video curriculum is a tool with which you will not go unnoticed and with which you can present yourself to companies in an original way.
Whether you are a freelancer, have a business or are looking for a job, having a resume updated (in form and format) will be an extra point to get new business opportunities and make it difficult for recruiters. So, if you don’t want your resume to go directly to the trash, you have to reinvent yourself!
So don’t miss out on this post:
- The importance of the video curriculum for recruiters and companies.
- How to make a creative and impactful video resume: Phases, tips and examples.
- Top resources for making a video resume.
Why create your Curriculum Vitae on video?
The labor market is competitive and, for that reason, you have to find a way to differentiate yourself through technology with some creativity. And, precisely, the video curriculum is the best option for it.
But, in addition to the differentiation, these are the reasons why you should use this format to attract the attention of the HR departments or potential new clients:
Benefits of the video resume:
- You will demonstrate the handling of technological tools and your creative potential.
- You will reflect communication skills and abilities, initiative, confidence …
- You can spread it quickly on social networks to reach more people.
- The video, being more emotional, is more likely to go viral.
- It is the best complement to your traditional Spanish resume.
How to make a creative Video Curriculum online
Do not know how to start your online video curriculum? Many hear the word “video” and tremble at the thought of speaking in front of the camera. But once you wear it … it can be great!
Take note of these tips to make a 90-second video resume (which is the recommended time):
➽ Before recording
If your CV on paper is updated and well structured, it can be used as a script. But if you do not have an attractive one, you will have to restructure your resume again so that it attracts attention.
If this is your first time talking to a camera, we recommend that you rehearse several times before recording. Get in front of a mirror and watch your gestures and body expression; so you can control yourself.
Other details to take into account to make a creative video resume:
- Correct lighting.
- Without noise.
- The sound must be clear.
- Having equipment with which to record properly.
➽ During recording
Without focusing on the more technical, we will focus on the structure of the video content. We would divide it into 3 parts:
Base structure of a video curriculum:
- Presentation: Be natural and describe who you are. Here you should say your name, where you live and if changing your residence is a possibility for you.
- Experience: Indicate what you studied, what your profession is and what you have previously worked on (and what you learned in those positions). Tell only the most relevant experience of your working life. Depending on whether you have multiple profiles, you may need to create multiple videos, with information related to each profile.
- Summary: Originally, you should summarize your experiences and skills in order to convince them that you are the person they are looking for. Then say thank you, addressing the company and say goodbye, not forgetting to include the links to your social networks.
➽ Editing the video
There are some easy-to-use animated video making programs to assemble your video resume and then download it without a hitch. In the next point we recommend some pages and apps to make a creative and original video resume.
But it is true that before starting to mount any video, it would be good to take a look at the work done by others, so that you get inspired and take ideas. Here we show you two examples:
1. Antonio Romero includes the rosco to highlight his abilities and aptitudes:
2. Ana Gómez, professor, creatively shows her CV:
Apps and pages to make a video resume
When you go to create your video resume you can help yourself with CV templates, tools and resources to facilitate the process.
These are some templates designed by our team, and that you can find on Graphicriver:
Apps and pages to make a video curriculum online:
- Doodly: If you want an interactive video curriculum, on white, black or glass whiteboard, that integrates music and sound, images or text, this tool is perfect for your creations.
- Videolean: The best thing about this page to make a video resume in Spanish (maximum 53 seconds) is that you can attach it to your LinkedIn profile. For the edition you will only need three photos.
- Wideo: From this platform you can upload your own videos, use the pre-designed Wideo templates (it has more than 80), upload your images and, in short, assemble the video without being an audiovisual expert. It has a 7-day free version.
- Design Wizard: If you want to make a free online video curriculum, Design Wizar offers by subscription a basic plan where you do not have to pay any monthly fee.
The more creativity you use, the more you will differentiate yourself from the rest. So go ahead and make a creative video resume with the help of these tips and some of these tools to obtain a professional result that leaves more than one recruiter with their mouths open.
What about you? Have you already created your online video curriculum vitae?