Have you ever received a negative review on Google? Surely, if you have an online store or business it will have happened or it may happen to you in the future. But do not spread panic!
There are ways to manage and even remove these negative Google reviews. Of course, the first option we recommend is not to delete the review, since Google will not delete it instantly.
In fact, you will not welcome the fact that you want to eliminate a negative evaluation, since it is an experience that a client lived in your business and that, therefore, other clients must know.
So in this post we are going to see:
- What is this of the reviews in Google and what is its importance for your business.
- How to remove negative Google reviews step by step.
- Some recommendations to consider before deleting anything.
What is a Google review?
A review is the opinion that a customer leaves on Google about their experience hiring one of your services or buying some of your products.
These reviews can be seen by any user when they put the name of your business in the Google search engine. A tab will appear on the right. This is your profile in Google My Business, where the user will find basic information about the business (address, hours, contact telephone number, website, etc.).
Below, the opinions of some of your clients will appear, as well as star ratings.
➽ How does a negative review influence your business?
Depending on the total number of reviews and star ratings, Google averages based on that data and reflects it well on the tab. Therefore, when you have one or two negative comments, the average can lower you and affect your reputation.
Note: Most customers will not buy from a business that is rated less than 4 stars.
In short, having negative reviews can affect:
- Google: If Google detects many negative reviews, it will affect your position and authority.
- Users: When a new user first arrives at your business file and sees a low score, it will generate mistrust; since the user highly values the opinions of other customers.
Can you remove Google reviews? Steps to do it
There are two ways to remove a negative Google review:
- You can kindly ask the person who wrote it to delete it.
- You can do it yourself by marking the content as inappropriate.
By flagging the content of a review as inappropriate, Google will understand that either the review is false, or that it violates Google’s policies. Here’s the step-by-step to flag a review as inappropriate:
- Open Google Maps and find your business.
- Within the review page, locate the review in question.
- To the right of the comment, click on the three dots and select the ‘Mark as inappropriate’ option.
- Briefly write a report of the problem and leave your email to follow up.
Please note that this process is slow and does not ensure that Google deletes the review. He thinks that Google will not eliminate it for the simple fact that it is negative, since it wants users to transmit objective and truthful comments.
Recommendations before removing Google reviews
We recommend that, before proceeding to mark a review as inappropriate, you follow these good practices:
➽ Check if the review is false
There are a lot of people or competition that wants to do harm and that’s why they leave a negative review on Google. To verify that this review is not real, follow these steps:
- If you distrust someone, check the rest of the reviews they have left in other business profiles (you can see the number of reviews they have left under their name).
- Check if the comment is for you and not for another company. The user may be confused.
- The comment is very general and does not specify the problem you have had.
- After looking at all this, check that this client is in your database.
➽ Respond to your negative reviews
There is nothing worse than not answering your reviews, whether positive or negative. But if they are negative, you should not miss it because:
- You transmit an image of abandonment to your business.
- You give the feeling that the client is right.
- You do not build trust, nor do you show that you care what your customers think.
- If you think it is false, please kindly state it in a comment. So other customers will value it.
➽ Solve customer problem
If you were wrong, ask for forgiveness and solve the problem if the customer was not satisfied. After proposing a new solution, ask them if they would give you another chance.
In the event that they are satisfied, ask them privately (so they don’t feel pressured) to remove the negative review. If they were happy, they will surely remove it.
➽ Contact support
After evaluating all these options, if you decided to take the step of removing a review from Google, Google will probably not respond to your request. If several days go by and it doesn’t, you can contact support.
To do this, go into your profile, go to ‘Support’, click on ‘Manage customer reviews’ and then you can make your complaint.
Google reviews must be taken care of, since they are an SEO factor that can affect your positioning. So if you get negative reviews, don’t pass them up and try to fix it using good practices like the ones we’ve discussed here today.
In case the client does not delete the negative review, after asking for forgiveness and proposing a new solution, the other option you have to prevent your media from going down is to try your luck and delete the Google review, marking it as inappropriate content.
Have you ever removed a negative review from Google? Tell us about your experience!